Vodafone Idea recorded the highest mobile network speed in the first quarter of 2021 and won Ookla’s Speedtest Awards for India. According to data shared by Ookla, Vi India had a speed score of 16.10 Mbps, Jio was way below with 13.98 Mbps and Airtel with 13.86 Mbps. Ookla noted that it compared 19,718,623 user-initiated tests taken on the Speedtest iOS and Android mobile apps from all the major mobile carriers in India during the award period to determine who showed the fastest mobile network speeds. Ookla places the most emphasis on the download speeds and median speeds as those represent what most network providers’ customers will experience on a day-to-day basis.
The report noted that it recorded the data from 34,87,870 unique devices that included iPhone 11, Redmi Note 5 Pro, Redmi Note 8 Pro and Redmi Note 7 Pro and iPhone XR over the first quarter. The overall median download speed was 9.6 Mbps. Vi had a median download speed of 11.34 Mbps, Airtel recorded 10.10 Mbps median download speed, and Jio recorded 8.23 Mbps median download speed.
The average upload speed recorded in the first quarter was 3.19 Mbps out of which Vi recorded 4.91 Mbps speed, Airtel recorded 3.16 Mbps median upload speed, and Jio recorded 2.54 Mbps average upload speed. The overall median latency recorded was 38 ms. Vi recorded a median latency of 36 ms, Airtel recorded a median latency of 35 ms and Jio recorded a median latency of 40 ms.
The three cities where the speed test was carried out were Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Delhi. Vodafone Idea recorded 12.95 Mbps download speed and 4.45 Mbps upload speed in Mumbai. Airtel recorded 9.29 Mbps download speed and 3.05 Mbps upload speed and Jio recorded 8.74 Mbps download speed and 3.03 Mbps upload speed. In Ahmedabad, Vi recorded 12.81 Mbps download speed and 5.67 Mbps upload speed.
Airtel recorded 9.99 Mbps download speed and 4.34 Mbps upload speed and Jio recorded 7.83 Mbps download speed and 2.35 Mbps download speed. Vi recorded 12.53 Mbps download speed in Delhi and 3.7 Mbps upload speed. Airtel recorded download and upload speeds of 10.71 Mbps and 1.91 Mbps download speed respectively. Jio recorded 8.80 Mbps download speed and 2.53 Mbps upload speed respectively.
The average revenue per user (ARPU), for the telecom business, grew to Rs 143.6 from Rs 138.4 in the previous quarter with improving subscriber mix and increased customer engagement levels, ET reported. The net profit rose 23.5 per cent on-year in the July-September quarter, driven by higher data and voice consumption.
Ookla noted that it considers top carriers, all carriers with 3 per cent or more of total test samples in the entire market for the full award period. It then determines the fastest carrier using Speed Score for results which incorporates a measure of each provider’s download and upload speed to rank network speed performance — 90 per cent of the final Speed Score is attributed to download speed and the remaining 10 per cent to upload speed.
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.
Paytm’s D-Street debut disappoints as it lists at 9% discount
India aims to become key semi-conductor manufacturer: PM Modi at Sydney Dialogue
Moto G Power (2022) with Helio G37 SoC, 5000mAh battery launched: Price, specifications
Samantha is all set to become a bridal makeup artist
PM Modi meets girls from Sainik Schools at Jhansi fort
DECODED: What’s Space Debris?
Selena Gomez Made Masala Chai For The First Time With Padma Lakhsmi
All about the first ‘Made in India’ Light Combat Helicopter | Watch
International Men’s Day: “Kya Mard Ko Dard Hota Hai?” Let’s find it out
‘This was inevitable’: Yogendra Yadav on farm laws rollback
Farmers’ resilience led to repeal of farm laws: SAD leader Manjinder Singh Sirsa
Let govt repeal three farm laws in Parliament: BKU leader Rakesh Tikait
Copyright © 2021 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today